Veolia Water's Managing Director, Richard Bienfait, said:
"We would like to thank our customers for reporting leaks within the community.We invested £30m during 2011 to manage leakage to this very low level.We have made this investment to save as much water as we can as we could face drought conditions later in the year.
"Despite the rainfall in December and January, the South East of England experienced an exceptionally dry Autumn, which has resulted in a below average replenishment of our underground water supplies. Our underground water supplies were already below average following the dry weather in Autumn 2010 and Winter 2010-11.
"We need well above average rainfall in February and March if we're to avoid restrictions this summer," he added.
Notes to Editors:
Veolia Water Central takes 60 per cent of its water supply from under-ground aquifers (a natural underground reservoir). The remaining 40% of water supplies come from surface water sources: the River Thames and the Grafham Water reservoir.
Under-ground water aquifers are replenished with rainfall between October and March.
Rainfall during spring and summer months tends to be absorbed by the natural environment or evaporates and very rarely does rainfall in this period replenish under-ground sources.
Rainfall during Autumn 2010/Winter 2011was 65% of long-term average
Rainfall during Autumn 2011 was only 44% of long-term average
For further information please contact Becky Martin or Sue Pavey on: Tel. 01707 277110, email: email@example.com, website:www.veoliawater.co.uk/news
Veolia Water Central is the UK's largest water supply only company and is part of Veolia Water UK. We are committed to delivering a high quality water service to all our customers. We provide 870 million litres of water each day to a population of 3 million people, in parts of Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, the London Boroughs of Harrow and Hillingdon and parts of the London Boroughs of Barnet, Brent, Ealing, and Enfield. Our supply area covers a total of 3,700 square kilometres, stretching from Luton and Royston in the north to Guildford in the south, and from Berkhamsted in the west to Dunmow in the east.
For more information visit www.veoliawater.co.uk/central or follow us on www.twitter.com/veoliawateruk.